Vegetation changes on the island of Saba, effects of huricanes, people and non-native speciesSubmitted by Peter Verweij on Fri, 02/28/2020 - 12:04
Powerpoint presentation with findings of a 4 week vegetation fieldvisit on Saba:
- what is vegetation (research)?
- historic findings (1956 and 1999)
- current findings (49 repeated plots, 28 additional plots)
- preliminary results for different zonation belts
- elfin forest (highest zone)
- elephants ears scrub
- transitional forest
- dry tropical forest
- grasslands, shrubland and coastal cliffs (lower zone)
- elfin forest far from 'original'
- zonation 2,3 and 4: no big changes, some expansion of elephant ears, more forest succesion resulting in more closed vegetation and poorer in bio-diversity
- invasive species are more abundant in the lower zone: coralita, rubber vine,'india grass' and others
Research and monitoring